Call for Symposia
The Program Committee is now soliciting proposals for symposia that are relevant and responsive to current and emerging issues in ecology, evolution and entomology for the 2019 CSEE-ESC-AES joint annual meeting (August 18-21, 2019). Symposia should include time for introductory remarks along with15 minute presentations (12 minutes per talk and 3 minutes for questions).
Proposals are due February 15, 2019. They will be reviewed by the Program Committee on the basis of the criteria listed below, with final decisions made by March 15, 2019. Proposals should be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com.
The basic criteria for symposia include:
- The topic should be timely, and interesting to the broad audience of this joint meeting. Symposia that represent a wide range of taxa may be prioritized. Applications that incorporate innovative approaches and analyses for the study of ecology and evolution are encouraged.
- The proposed list of speakers should represent a good balance between established and new investigators. It should also reflect thoughtfulness about equitable representation with regard to gender and under-represented groups, and an effort to reflect the diversity of CSEE/ESC/AES.
- Symposia that foster connections between the three organisations are especially encouraged.
Please include the following information in your proposal:
- Name and affiliation of symposium Chair.
- The title and goal of the proposed symposium. Please specify the extent to which your symposium contributes an innovative and/or integrative view of the Acadian Entomological Society or the Canadian Society of Ecology and Evolution or the Entomological Society of Canada (250 words).
- The basic theme or area the symposium represents (10 words).
- A list of the proposed speakers and a brief (1 sentence) statement of how their work fits into the topic of the symposium. Please include whether the speaker is confirmed to participate in brackets after their name (e.g. Dr. Bug Evolution (confirmed)).
- A brief statement of how the symposium meets the criteria listed above (100 words).
Please be aware that the Program Committee may suggest revisions to ensure the kinds of diversity suggested above and to avoid duplication. The program committee may also suggest that the Symposium Chair to fill in their symposium with relevant submitted talks.
To encourage diversity in symposium speakers, funds may be available to partially off-set the costs of under-represented speakers. Please indicate if you would have a speaker for whom access to funds is a barrier to attending the conference and who would like to be considered for a bursary.
If you would like to discuss a symposium idea before submitting a proposal, please contact the program committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.